Communicating Science is about Communication
In order to better promote science literacy on UO’s campus, the Science Literacy Program engages our faculty, post-doctoral fellows, and students in science communication training. Inspired by the Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science, these workshops show participants how to use classic improv and theater techniques to convey scientific information in a way that engages, educates, and inspires non-scientists.
We collaborate with the Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation to provide these innovative and engaging trainings to our science communicators. The UO Science Communication team, trained by the Alda Center includes:
- Molly Blancett, Media Relations Manager, University Communications
- Theresa May, Associate Professor, Theatre Arts
- Lewis Taylor, Director of Communications, Office of Research and Innovation
- Elly Vandegrift, Associate Director, Science Literacy Program
- Zeina Salame, GE, Coordinator of Improvisational Science Communication Training Activities
View our events page for more information.