ELEANOR VANDEGRIFT is the Associate Director of the Science Literacy Program and a Senior Instructor in Biology. Elly supports classroom teaching and science communication for faculty, graduate students, and undergraduate students who co-teach SLP courses or participate in the Science Literacy Teaching Journal Club. Elly is the Alan Alda Center for Communication Science Affiliate Director for the UO, member of the Summer Institutes on Scientific Teaching Leadership Team, and active with the Northwest PULSE community to promote national STEM reform efforts.
Before joining the Science Literacy Program, Elly worked with science students to cultivate academic success through the Teaching and Learning Center and facilitated teacher training opportunities for the Teaching Effectiveness Program. Elly completed her undergraduate work in biology at Earlham College and her graduate work in Forest Ecology from Oregon State University where she studied the genetic diversity of saprotrophic fungi in Oregon forests. Elly has taught a diversity of science pedagogy, biology, anatomy & physiology, and academic skills courses at UO, Lane Community College, and Earlham College. Elly’s best teachers are her two young children and husband who introduce her to new ideas everyday and remind her to live in the moment.
- Williams Fellow 2016-17 awarded for teaching excellence
- 2015 Pedagogy Award from the Association for the Study of Food and Society
- National Academies Education Fellow in 2013-14
- National Academies Education Mentor 2014-16
Selected Workshops Facilitated:
- National Academies 2014 and 2015 West Coast Summer Institute on Undergraduate Education
- NWBIO 2015 Experience Backward Design in Practice: Start with the End in Mind
- Lilly Conference on College and University Teaching 2015 Backward Design in Practice
- AAC&U Annual Meeting 2015 Teaching for the 21st Century
- SLP 2014 Backward Design in Practice -or– How We Developed a Classroom Activity About Science and Society
- AAAS 2014 Thinking Skills for the 21st Century: Teaching for Transfer
- AAC&U General Education 2014 General Education Transformation Focused on Science Literacy and Science Communication
- 2013 Nagoya University and Japan Global 30 Faculty Professional Development Workshop
- TEP 2011 Diversity in Scientific Teaching
- TEP 2011 Assessment in Scientific Teaching
- NWBIO 2010 Diversity in Scientific Teaching
- TEP 2010 Active Learning in Scientific Teaching
- TEP 2010 Scientific Teaching
Vandegrift, E.V.H., S. Dawson. (2016). Sex and gender: What does it mean to be female or male? CourseSource. 3:1-6.
Mulnix, Amy B., Eleanor V. H. Vandegrift, and S. Raj Chaudhury (2016). How Important is Achieving Equity in Undergraduate STEM Education to You?. Journal of College Science Teaching. 45 (4): 8-11.
Chadhury, S.R., L Mandeltort, A.B. Mulnix, E.V.H. Vandegrift, and J.B. Yates. (2015). Using Scientific Visualization to Enhance the Teaching and Learning of Core Concepts. In Eds D.M. Baylen, A. D’Alba. Essentials of Using and Integrating Visual and Media Literacy — Visualizing Learning. Springer.
Mulnix, A.B. and E.V.H. Vandegrift. 2014. A Tipping Point in STEM Education Reform. Journal of College Science Teaching. 43(3):12-14.
Vandegrift, E.V.H., H. Chen, and M.E. Harmon. 2007. Fungal diversity within decomposing woody conifer roots in Oregon, U.S.A.. Northwest Science. 81(2): 125-137.
- Science Literacy Teaching Journal Club
- Bio/Chem 140: Science, Policy, and Biology
- HC 441H: Bread 101
- Bio/Chem/Geol/Phys 407/507: Seminar Teaching Science
- CAS 101H: Reacting to the Past
- It’s an incredible time to be studying STEM fields at many of Northwest’s Largest Colleges Bruce Sussman, The Oregonian, January 28, 2018
- These scientists study plants and animals by land and sea Bethany Brookshire, Science News for Students, December 6, 2016
- Science for the rest of us: UO fights for science literacy Mike Mendoza, Oregon Daily Emerald, November 2015
- Teaching Science so it Sticks Dan Berrett, Chronicle of Higher Education, May 2015
- Telling the Story of Scientific Research Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation, May 2015
- Bread 101 Bonnie Henderson, Oregon Quarterly, Spring 2015
- The Bread Dough Did Rise Jim Barlow, Around the O, Spring 2014
- Life Science Teaching Resource Community Blog Elly Vandegrift and Julie Mueller, December 2014
- Science Literacy Program Excels Through Active Learning Around the O, Summer 2013
- The Science of Good Teaching: Program Invites Wide-Ranging Innovation, Lee Rumbarger, TEP Blog, June 2013.
Contact Elly Vandegrift:
- email – ellyvan <at> uoregon <dot> edu
- phone – 541-346-8982