Our mission to promote student success begins with supporting UO faculty. SLP encourages our instructors to support students’ science literacy by implementing active learning in the classroom. Throughout the year, we offer professional development workshops to increase faculty’s familiarity with evidence-based teaching practices, improve science communication, and introduce new strategies to make them more effective educators. We also invite faculty to participate in our Scientific Teaching Journal Club (co-sponsored by UO’s Teaching Engagement Program), where we facilitate conversations on student-friendly curriculum design, emerging best practices in pedagogy, and much more.
Interested faculty can get involved with SLP by:
- Adding an upcoming course to the Science Literacy Program roster
- Attending our Scientific Teaching Journal Club
- Participating in upcoming SLP professional development events
- Participating in our Science Communicating Trainings
- Mentoring a Graduate Fellow or Undergraduate Scholar in an upcoming course
If you’re a faculty member with questions about how SLP can support your professional growth in science teaching and communication, contact Elly Vandegrift at email@example.com.